With Costco coming to Northern Colorado, I thought I would share some thoughts on why you would or wouldn’t want to get a Costco membership.
Costco is a good place to buy quality products, in larger quantities, at good prices, but that doesn’t mean your grocery budget will shrink.
Why Costco might not be a good fit:
- If you are the type of person who is ok buying lower quality products at bargain prices, then Costco probably isn’t a good fit for you.
- If you wait to buy groceries until you have a coupons to match with a sale, then Costco probably isn’t a good fit for you.
- If you only buy groceries for the next few days, then buying groceries at Costco would require changes to you shopping methods.
- If you only buy groceries for a couple of people, then the quantities purchased at Costco might be too much for you.
- If you want things delivered to your home.
- If you like asking store associates for help.
Why Costco might be a good fit:
- If you buy a lot of organics, you might find Costco’s prices pretty competitive.
- If you like to do a lot of dinner entertaining, Costco has great selections.
- If you have a couple of hungry teenagers, Costco can sell you lots of food quickly.
- If you normally buy the highest quality brands even when they are not on sale, Costco will sell you comparable brands at better prices.
- If you don’t choosing between brands, Costco has already researched the best brands and will only sell you the brand they stand behind.
- If you are looking to buy some big-ticket items (furnature, bikes, televisions), then buying it at Costco might save you more than your membership fee in a single purchase.
- If you bake bread, Costco will sell yourflour and yeast in quantities you can’t get at King Soopers.
- If you like shopping where employees are paid and treated well, you will find lots of happy employees at Costco.
If you still don’t know if Costco is a good fit for you, I suggest giving it a try. They have a satisfaction guarantee on your membership: if you try Costco but are unhappy with your membership, they will refund your membership fee. If you try products at Costco but are unhappy with them, you can easily return them (some electronics have a limited return window.)